In the Beautiful Blue Mountains

29 September - 7 October 2018

Garden No 8 - St Annes, 104-104a Gladstone Road
Garden courtesy of Helen and Gary (assisted by Jessica Lawn, Horticulturalist and Arborist)

The most well-known feature of St Annes has been its front hedge of Cypress pines, having appeared on Burkes Backyard and as an exemplar of its kind in horticultural manuals.

Behind the hedge lies a park-like garden that celebrates trees; red and white oak, copper beech, cypress, cherry, pine, dogwood, liquidamber, maple and more.

Established in 1929 by Mr GB Whyte, a Scotsman and orchardist, St Annes is now in the hands of its fourth caretakers. Each family has added to the character of the garden whilst respecting its history. In the 1950s, Mr Whyte won a prize for his Bonsai garden and this space has retained the name of The Japanese Garden. The current owners have added a granite basin from Japan and dwarf maples and conifers as a nod to its origins.

The Sibiriakoffs added to the stone walls and put in much of the softer planting. Molly Sibiriakoff was a Sydney girl whose husband had fled the Russian Revolution. They brought lily of the valley with them from Paris, planting them in the Woodland Walk.

The Stevenson family built the chook house and planted hundreds of hydrangeas and cherry trees in the drive. They established the bluebell patch and added box hedging.

The current owners have uncovered paths, increased plantings of camellias, rhododendrons and azaleas, added more rock walls and put cottage plants into the beds at the front of house. The Little Meadow fills with narcissus in spring and the tulips were a recent addition for their daughter’s wedding on the lawn.